Director of Racquets
Rumson Country Club is a club of tradition, founded in 1908, with a long and distinguished history. It is a member-owned, multi-generational, exclusive, family-oriented club, on the New Jersey Shore, with 480 member families. The average member age is 62. The approximate gross dollar operating volume is $10 million including the annual dues volume at $4.4 million, restaurant revenues of $2.7 million, $1 million in sport activity & miscellaneous revenues, and 1.9 million in Capital Incomes. The Club employs 60 year-round staff members which increases to 200 during the busy summer season.
The Main Clubhouse is a charming, 27,000 square foot, circa late-19th century estate home, which houses administrative offices, ladies’, and men’s locker rooms. It serves as the venue for winter season food service. Phase I of a Long-Range Strategic Plan is currently being implemented which will drastically improve the functionality of the Main Clubhouse.
Adjacent to the Main Clubhouse, you’ll find the Golf Shop, which contains the Pro Shop, Bag Storage and a Halfway House, which provides walk up food service to golfers on the turn and other members.
A second seasonal 14,800 square foot clubhouse known as the Riverhouse, is located on the banks of the Shrewsbury River. The Riverhouse was built in 2014 after the previous Poolhouse structure was demolished by Superstorm Sandy. The Riverhouse provides waterfront dining, swimming pool, snack bar, and a summer camp program for children.
Athletic facilities include:
· an 18-hole golf course, driving range, two practice putting greens and short game practice areas;
· four platform tennis courts with a well-appointed hut
· two hard surface tennis courts
· four hard surface pickle ball courts
· two skeet and trap shooting ranges with a shooting lodge
· a regulation tournament croquet lawn
· swimming pool
The Club also features a comprehensive yacht club facility for power boats and sailboats. The Club maintains an active sailing program. The yacht club features a spar shed, 40 wet slip marina, marina lockers, boat ramp, plus sailboat, kayak, canoe & rowboat storage racks.
The Golf Course Maintenance Complex includes Offices, Mechanic’s Shop, chemical storage, two multi-bay equipment storage garages and a large equipment storage pole barn structure.
Additional buildings include three cart barns, a pump house, a comfort station on the golf course and a Dormitory Ranch House that serves as intern housing for employees.
Director of Racquets
Rumson Country Club
Director of Racquets (DOR)
The DOR is responsible for the oversight and execution of the entire Racquet Sports Program and will work directly with the Director of Club Operations, Assistant Tennis and Paddle Professionals and all respective staff to ensure clear and consistent communications as it pertains to expectations, organization, labor costs, services offered and overall operation of each department. The DOR will be responsible for all Tennis, Pickleball and Paddle operation, the utilization of all facilities, and all operations in an effort to deliver the best experience for both Members and guests, and will be able to forecast, plan and manage all facets of the Department including instructional staff mentorship and supervision, social and competitive programming and of course the highest level of member service.
Reports to: Director of Club Operations with the direction from the Racquets Committee.
Supervises: Assistant Racquets Professionals
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Associate degree (A. A.) or equivalent from two-year college or technical school; or five years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience
Job Knowledge, Core Competencies and Expectations
Competency in managing all aspects of a successful club racquets-specific operation is required, including:
· a commitment to the pursuit of excellence in Men’s, Ladies’, and Junior’s programs
· development of an instructional program targeting the aforementioned groups
· prepare annual and monthly budgets for operations, including shop operations
· take corrective actions as necessary to help assure budget goals are attained
· collects all charges and fees for all racquets-related activities
· tournament operations capabilities
· proficiency in running other racquets events (outings)
· clear communications reflecting the Club’s high standards for professionalism
o with staff
o with members
o outbound through various club-controlled media (e.g., print and digital platforms)
o with vendors and other outside contacts; staff training and development; Manage & develop racquets staff by selecting and hiring qualified candidates of high character. Provide training, support, and communication to staff. Conduct regular periodic department staff meetings. Create an effective schedule that meets members’ needs and the department’s budget.
Shop merchandising (buying, display and sales strategy) and overall shop business management must maintain accurate records of shop inventory using club provided software. Work with Director of Club Operations and CFO to account for pro shop inventory in accordance with club guidelines. (Guidelines to be established);
· playing ability
· plays with members of all skill-levels to generate enthusiasm
· knowledge of the rules of each game
· ensure club compliance with all self-governing bodies’ rules and regulations
· oversee and maintain Club’s ranking systems
· Knowledge of, and ability to perform, required role during emergency situations.
· Consults with the Director of Club Operations about staff management, tennis/paddle/pickle court operations, maintenance, and rules. Performs all appropriate tasks assigned by the Director of Club Operations.
o Adheres to all federal, state and local laws regarding health, safety and employment.
o Interprets and enforces club policies, rules and regulations.
i. Schedules staff hours to assure that members are fully served and that labor costs are managed
· Plans, promotes, and directs all racquets activities including daily management responsibilities.
o Maintains visible presence on the courts during key events/peak times of play.
o Plans professional development and training activities for staff.
· Develops a detailed annual calendar of racquet activities and applicable promotion campaigns.
o Plans social evenings and events to promote tennis/paddle/pickle and fellowship among members and guests.
o Maintains records relating to member and guest play and other statistics.
o Provides for the acquisition and issuance of all prizes associated with all events and competitions.
o Develops and manages new member orientation program.
· Consults and cooperates with the Director of Outside Operations about maintenance issues.
- Assists in supervising and inspecting design improvements and capital outlays to racquets’ facilities.
· Attends all staff, management, committee, and other applicable meetings.
· Assists in the development of short- and long-range plans for improvements to the club facilities.
· Attends national and sectional conferences and meetings, merchandise shows, educational and professional shows to encourage development and to enhance quality and image of the club.
· Interacts with food and beverage director about food and beverage needs for events.
· Implements an overall safety program that conforms to OSHA standards for the Racquets Department.
Oversee all billing for services for the racquet department. Monitor payroll for staff. Develop annual budget in conjunction with the Director of Club Operations and CFO. Monitor and provide reports on actual performance versus budget. Oversee annual purchases of required equipment and supplies in line with the annual budget.
Licenses and Special Requirements
Vast teaching and programming experience.
Certified as a PTR, PPR, PPTA and/or USPTA Elite/Master Professional.
Working knowledge of various tennis specific technology and software programs.
Please forward resume and cover letter to:
Cindy A. Williams, CCM
Director of Club Operations
Rumson Country Club
How to Apply for Position:
Upgrade your account to paid subscription and gain access to this job as well as all other sports job opportunities:
Upgrade to a premium membership for complete access!Subscribe today and gain access to 1,244 jobs in the sports industry - Cancel anytime
Regional Sports Network
Private Roman Catholic University