Searching for a careers in sports marketing can seem like a daunting task at first. It’s no secret that it’s one of the toughest industries to break into and takes some time to really establish yourself. You might feel like you’re doing all of the right things: networking your tail off and applying to a variety of positions. But you’re at a stand-still with no prospects on the horizon. Time to spice up your approach! Here are some ways to invigorate your career search:
- Use new mediums to post your resume online – use outlets like Vizify that create inforgraphic-type visuals of your resume. Create an About.Me page – you never know who will randomly stumble upon your profile and both platforms showcase that you are tech-savvy.
- Take a class on an in-demand skill – While this won’t immediately help you land your dream job within sports, it will prove to be beneficial down the road as you’ll be able to add another skill to your arsenal – making you a more attractive candidate. Skills like knowing your way around Photoshop or new social media networks like Pinterest or Tumblr can set you apart from the pack.
- Take part in Twitter chats around your chosen discipline – If you are unfamiliar with how a Twitter chat works, it’s really simple and very beneficial. For example, the #sbchat is one of the more popular ones and occur every Sunday night at 9:30 pm EST. Follow the hashtag (#sbchat in this case) and moderators will ask several questions usually relating to something timely and you tweet your opinion using the designated hashtag. You get the chance to virtually meet executives in the industry while showcasing your knowledge. Its a great icebreaker to meet new executives and develop relationships with people across the country.
Here are some great Twitter chats to participate in:
- #sportsprchat (sports PR) Tuesdays, 9:00pm EST, Hosted by Angie Taylor and Pam Chvotkin.
- #sportjc (sports jobs): Every 1st/3rd Monday of the month, 8:00pm EST, Hosted by Jonathan Levitt and Remi Sabouri
- #social4tixsales (ticket sales) Tuesdays, 8:00pm EST, Hosted by Ken Troupe and Ron Contorno.
- #smsports (social media in sports) Thursdays, 9:00pm EST, Hosted by Tariq Ahmad.
- #slchat (sports law) Sundays, 8:00pm EST, Hosted by Claire Zovko and Laura Jeffords.
- #sbchat (sports business) Sundays, 9:30pm EST, Hosted by Lou Imbriano and J.W. Cannon
Contact Us to find out some unique job opportunities!