Director of Athletic Communications
- Oversee all aspects of a model athletic communications department as it relates to the promotion and publicizing of the university's 22-sport program, including the dissemination of information to local, regional, national and hometown media outlets.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Demonstrate respect for the Catholic and Franciscan values of the university.
- Demonstrate the ability to relate effectively to student-athletes, coaches, staff, administration and the university community.
- Participate in and promote a culture of continuing quality improvement.
- Manage all aspects of media relations for athletics, including coordination of interview requests from varied media outlets.
- Oversee all aspects of writing and distribution of news releases.
- Design, write and publish all department media guides and publications.
- Oversee maintenance and upkeep of athletics website.
- Manage all athletics social media efforts.
- Prepare game notes for certain home sporting events.
- Prepare and disseminate all statistical information required by conference, regional and national affiliations for all sports.
- Provide necessary information as it relates to nomination of athletes and coaches for conference, regional and national awards.
- Maintain archive of all athletic programs, including newspaper articles and statistics.
- Hire and supervise all student workers within the athletic communications department.
- Oversee all aspects of budget preparation and management.
- Represent the athletic department and university in a professional manner at various internal and external functions.
- Serve on various university committees as assigned.
- Must be able to work nights, weekends and holidays.
- Bachelor's degree in journalism, communications or related field.
- Three years of experience in an athletic communications-related setting.
- Strong writing, interpersonal and communication skills.
- General knowledge of computers, statistical software and desktop publishing.
- Ability to perform the physical requirements of the position.
- Ability and willingness to work nights, weekends and holidays.
- Willingness to support the Catholic and Franciscan values of the University.
- Master's degree in journalism, communications or related field.
- Website and graphic design experience.
- Knowledge of StatCrew and/or DakStats and Adobe Creative Suite software.
- Strong photographic skills.
Physical Requirements of Position
- Work is performed in both an office setting and at athletic arenas with moderate exposure to varying weather conditions.
- Substantial time is spent working on a computer.
- Requires the following physical activities: sitting, walking, bending, stooping, finger dexterity, repetitive motions, talking, hearing and visual acuity.
- Some travel may be required.
- Hours of work include some nights, weekends and may include working up to 12 hours a day.
How to Apply for Position:
Upgrade your account to paid subscription and gain access to this job as well as all other sports job opportunities:
Professional Basketball Team
Sports Management Network
Sports & Entertainment