Assistant Director for Media Relations
- Coordinates and disseminates information concerning the University Athletics programs.
- Communicates information to local and national media and other groups such as alumni, letter winners, faculty, students and fans.
- Establishes relationships with local and national media in promoting University Athletics.
- Helps to execute the Media Relations Department’s publicity strategy.
- Primary responsibility is to serve as the primary media relations contact for multiple University athletic programs.
- Serve as liaison between the athletic department and media, general public and university community.
- Responsible for developing and executing a publicity strategy for their assigned sports.
- Collaborate closely with local, regional and national media outlets—as well as University's VFL Films staff—to pitch and execute story ideas promoting teams and individual student-athletes and staff members.
- Responsible for the coordination of media availabilities and press conferences for each of their sports.
- Ensure accurate and up-to-date information on their assigned sports is available daily via Internet and social media platforms.
- Manage media relations logistics associated with their teams' respective athletic events.
- Travel with the team and execute their responsibilities at the competition site.
- Mst be willing to work/travel on nights and weekends, and should be available to work home football games when the fall sports schedule allows.
- Responsible for the production of a thorough and up-to-date "game notes" package that is used by broadcasters to prep for the event.
- Assist colleagues at other sports' competition events when their availability allows.
- Required Bachelor's degree preferably in journalism, communications, public relations or sports management.
- Master's degree preferably in journalism, communications, public relations or sports management.
Required Levelel/Type of Experience and/or Years of Experience
- At least one year of previous experience in an NCAA Division I media relations/communications office, professional sports franchise, or comparable work environment.
Preferred Level/Type of Experience and/or Years of Experience
- Preferable to have previous experience as a primary sport contact at the NCAA Division I or professional sports level.
- Possess a demonstrated ability for strategic thinking and strong public relations sensibilities.
- Possess strong writing and verbal communications skills.
- In-depth, sport-specific knowledge to serve as an official scorer for Division I collegiate softball.
- Certain technical knowledge is required, including demonstrated experience with Adobe InDesign, Microsoft Word, Adobe Photoshop, SIDEARM and The Automated Scorebook (Stat Crew) and Genius statistical software.
- Broad working knowledge and familiarity with NCAA and Conference rules also is required.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to create compelling and engaging, live social media content.
- Advanced operational knowledge of PC and Apple computers.
- Basic video-editing skills and basic HTML coding ability.
How to Apply for Position:
Upgrade your account to paid subscription and gain access to this job as well as all other sports job opportunities:
Upgrade to a premium membership for complete access!
$5 For Your First 30 Days
No Commitment - $19.95 a month after trial period - Cancel anytime.