Recreation Assistant, Seasonal
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
The duties listed below are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to this class.
- Assists in observing and teaching children acceptable rules of conduct and the proper and safe use of equipment and facilities such as the pool and gymnasium; maintains order, manages conflict and ensures proper and safe behavior among children; consistently encourages children to follow correct rules and organization of games to help establish habits of fair play in order to enjoy recreation activities; maintains constant surveillance, disciplines, safeguards, and regulates the conduct of children in order to prevent accidents and drowning by enforcing pertinent rules and regulations.
- Assists in guiding children in the development of desirable and acceptable social skills and habits; models personal and professional values of equity, integrity, caring, collaboration, personal and collective accountability; encourages children to develop good habits of sportsmanship and promotes courtesy among everyone; maintains professionalism, including fulfilling responsibilities as a mandated reporter.
- Assists in the general welfare and safety of children; reports accidents, hazardous conditions, suspicious or concerning behavior, and unauthorized activities or unauthorized persons on school grounds immediately to appropriate personnel; inspects, reviews and monitors campus to deter and prevent inappropriate behaviors and eliminate potential safety hazards; assists ill or injured children, assesses situation and refers for first aid as necessary, including completing incident reports as needed.
- Assists in keeping work or play areas in an orderly and neat condition, including assisting children in cleaning up their own areas, and picking up trash off the ground.
- Escorts children as they enter or leave school grounds and/or walk to and from play activities, locker rooms, eating areas, waiting areas, and other designated areas for the purpose of ensuring safety of children.
- Communicates with parents regarding children's behavior, injuries, and other relevant matters; responds to inquiries from a variety of sources for the purpose of resolving issues, providing information and/or direction to other sources.
Employment Standards / Minimum Qualifications
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Principles, practices, methods, and techniques used in guiding, motivating and supervising schoolaged children.
- Basic first aid and safety practices.
- Outdoor safety awareness to include sports and exercise safety and safety relative to weather conditions such as heat sensitivity.
- Recreational and team sports rules and equipment.
- Swimming safety and rules and regulations of an aquatic facility.
- Child behavior management or modification techniques.
- Basic report writing and record keeping skills.
- Principles of customer service and command structures.
- Pertinent Federal, State, District and College laws, rules, policies, procedures and goals applicable to departmental operations.
Skills and Abilities to:
- Develop and maintain effective relationships with school-aged children.
- Maintain a positive and safe learning environment.
- Enforce the rules and regulations of an aquatic facility.
- Execute developmentally appropriate, culturally sensitive and inclusive physical activities for schoolaged children.
- Effectively engage in interpersonal communications; negotiate and resolve conflicts.
- Assist with and participate in sports and recreational activities and programs.
- Recognize and respond to safety hazards.
- Maintain composure and respond to emergency situations.
- Communicate effectively, orally and in writing.
- Understand and follow written and oral instructions.
- Operate a computer and use standard business software.
- Maintain confidentiality of files and records.
- Interpret policies and procedures.
- Exercise tact and diplomacy in dealing with sensitive, complex and confidential issues and situations.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with all those encountered in the course of work.
- Effectively engage and support the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds of District personnel, students, parents and the communities served by the District
How to Apply for Position:
Upgrade your account to paid subscription and gain access to this job as well as all other sports job opportunities:
Upgrade to a premium membership for complete access!Subscribe today and gain access to 1,962 jobs in the sports industry - Cancel anytime
Community College (CA)