Team Sports Dietitian
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assess and counsel student-athletes oIdentify and advise on medical-related nutrition concerns such as but not limited to anemia, disordered eating, diabetes, bone mineral disturbances, amenorrhea, dyslipidemia, hypertension, gastrointestinal concerns, food allergies and intolerances, and other medical conditions.
- Provide assessment and counseling for sport-specific and gender-specific recommendations regarding optimal body composition and weight for good health and optimal athletic performance.
- Serve as a member of the menu management team within Varsity Room, charged with enhancing the nutritional content of recipes and production techniques for nutritionally adequate meals for athletic performance and recovery
- Provide assessment and counseling of student-athletes regarding appropriate and legal use of dietary supplements, regularly banned drugs and restricted substances in compliance with sport governing bodies; e.g. NCAA, U.S. Anti-doping Agency (USADA), World Anti-doping Agency (WADA) and the Department of Intercollegiate (DIA) policies
- Meet with prospective student athletes as part of the recruiting process as requested
- Provide team-specific nutrition trainings, education and recommendations
- Develop, coordinate, and teach nutritional education, cooking programs and grocery store tours for student-athletes independently and in collaboration with Student-Athlete Development unit.
- Coordination of the development and oversight of nutrition education material production, social media, and on-site athlete dining education. oActively participate in meal monitoring and plate-side nutrition education for student athletes at Varsity Room, events, and team-specific pre-game meals.
- Collaborate with other on-campus Registered Dietitians (University Housing, McKinley Health Center, academic departments) to ensure the best use of campus programming and facilities for student-athletes. oServe as a nutrition resource for coaches, sports medical staff, academic services staff, and others within the department as appropriate. oImplement sport-specific hydration protocols at workouts, team practices and competitions to prevent heat related illness and promote health through adequate hydration
- Coordinate and communicate travel nutrition needs for assigned teams
- Assist Director of Sports Nutrition on the evaluation of sports supplements, including research of nutritional supplements for legality, safety, quality, and efficacy, and continual research of the changing sports supplement industry
- Maintain professional competency and skills required for professional practice, including but not limited to current food, nutrition, and health issues and research related to sports nutrition
- Maintain yearly continuing education in the field of sports dietetics
- Serve as a member of an interdisciplinary, integrated performance team
- Conduct and refer screening, treatment and prevention of disordered eating and eating disorders as necessary.
- Provide consistent communication to coaching staffs, strength & conditioning staffs, athletic trainers, team physicians, mental health staffs, and administration regarding sports nutrition and sports performance related issues.
- Collaborate with relevant allied health care providers within the Sports Medicine department’s existing health care network by making referrals when appropriate.
- Oversee assigned fueling stations and staff management
- Responsible for ordering, inventory, and procurement of goods through necessary vendors for athletic fueling stations.
- Responsible for recruiting, interviewing, hiring and scheduling undergraduate volunteers as Fueling Station Product Managers.
- Provide education and mentorship of sports nutrition undergraduate volunteers.
- Required: Bachelor’s Degree and Master’s degree in Nutrition or related field required.
- Required: One to three years’ experience working with college age population and collegiate student-athletes.
- Preferred: Three or more years working with college age population and collegiate student-athletes
Training, License or Certifications
- Required: Registered Dietitian (Commission on Dietetic Registration) required within 3 months of hire, Licensed Dietitian required upon hire. hire.
- Preferred: Certified Specialist in Sports Dietetics (CSSD) preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of and compliance with specific NCAA, Big Ten Conference, and institution rules that relate to this position is required.
How to Apply for Position:
Upgrade your account to paid subscription and gain access to this job as well as all other sports job opportunities:
Upgrade to a premium membership for complete access!Subscribe today and gain access to 1,932 jobs in the sports industry - Cancel anytime