Director of Marketing, Live Events
Northeast Region, AL
Harlem Globetrotters International
Director of Marketing, Live Events
Basketball is and has always been more than a game. The Harlem Globetrotters unite families and spread joy through world-class basketball showmanship. The Globetrotters are charismatic, elite athletes and real-life superheroes who consistently leverage their star power to light up a room, light up a court, light up a venue, light up the competition, light up the community and light up the world. They have done this in spite of any and all challenges, including the challenges facing the world today. As the Globetrotters build on its wonderful 90+ year storied history, we are seeking outstanding individuals to help elevate the brand to emotionally connect with the next generation of fans. As a Director of Marketing, Live Events for the world-famous Harlem Globetrotters, you will help us connect with new audiences and develop fans on and off the court, driving the marketing strategy and brand roadmap for the organization in local markets to achieve sales and audience engagement objectives.
Your passion for the Harlem Globetrotters and the mission is matched only by your brand building skills, marketing acumen and the ability to plan and implement event-driven experiences. Your understanding of culture, community & commerce through the marketing lens is the engine driving success and thrive with this responsibility.
Position Roles & Responsibilities
· A true marketer at heart - develop and implement tailored go-to-market plans promoting Harlem Globetrotters events in 50+ markets throughout North America
· A true collaborator working with internal and external teams and agencies, including venues, media, public relations, branded entertainment, operations, among others, to achieve each engagement’s financial goals
· Get who we are and who we aren’t - Help optimize all facets of the live event experience fully reflecting Harlem Globetrotters brand promise providing for long lasting engagement opportunities with our target audience segments
· Audience-driven focus – possess a clear understanding of the Harlem Globetrotters target audience focus to allow you to research and identify where and how we connect with them through live event marketing campaigns and other initiatives
· Know the market landscape – be an expert on key markets in the US from an event, brand or product marketing standpoint; have a method to how to become a quick study on new markets to guide marketing efforts across cross-functional teams
· Responsible for developing and executing comprehensive promotional, grassroots, group sales and venue marketing plans to achieve individual market objectives
· Manage marketing budgets and plans for each market with the goal of reaching targeted projections for ticket sales and revenue
· Identify opportunities to execute multi- and single market promotions with relevant brands/organizations to deepen our engagement before and after live events; Partners can include CBOs, FBOs, healthcare, educational centers, retailers, etc.
· Work closely with the PR team (internal and external) to maximize exposure for the Harlem Globetrotters especially our target audience in local markets through PR stunts, appearances, influencer marketing, events, etc.
· Identify local opportunities to develop mutually beneficial trade, promotional, or grassroots programs that enrich campaigns and drive engagement
· Develop and maintain relationships with market venues/arenas where the Globetrotters play; build venue marketing plan to include email and social media support, signage and cross-sell opportunities, outreach to venue teams and partners
· Event management with the show staff, arena staff, local sales, media, and promotional partners
· Pitch and negotiate local sponsorship deals; execute corporate regional and national sponsor commitments on local level
· Establish ticket prices, the scaling of such prices, and the on-sale period for each campaign; oversee box office build, savings offers, proof and approve reports to ensure accurate financial settlement
· Daily sales and inventory tracking for each market; make recommendations to adjust as needed
· Reconcile advertising invoices and marketing expenses for each market’s settlement; settle expenses with venues in advance of each event
· Elevate and Innovate – seek out ways for us to innovate, improve productivity and process that allow us to work smarter
· 8+ years of brand management, live event marketing experience with Bachelor’ Degree, and MBA nice to have
· Experience in entertainment, brand marketing, sports, and/or live events
· A genuine passion for marketing and the Harlem Globetrotters
· Self-starting personality and highly motivated, strategic, and creative
· Quick witted and adaptable to a fast-paced environment/industry
· Excellent communication, cross-group collaboration, and planning skills
· Experience being accountable to executive leadership
· Passion for driving cultural change
· Great collaborator who thrives working with others
· Cool with handling differences of opinion, with your own strong opinions lightly held
· Outcome and output oriented - dare we say 'relentless'?
· You thrive in diverse teams and in your approach to all that you do
· Nice to have experience of transforming a brand/ marketing approach in your career history
· Nice to have experience as a brand leader in a brand-centric organization
· Nice to have successful experience with brands targeting tweens and parents
· Consistently demonstrates grit and determination with innate ability to get stuff done
· Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite; particularly Excel, Google Docs, and strong verbal and written communication skills
· Must be flexible and willing to work off hours, weekends and nights as needs dictate
· Open to travel and relocation (as part of potential career advancement)
Atlanta candidates preferred; remote candidates considered.
Visit our recruiting page for a direct application and to learn more about opportunities to join our squad: https://recruiting.paylocity.com/Recruiting/Jobs/All/d57c9a32-50e5-4a6d-a51f-5671076ebef2/Harlem-Globetrotters-International-Inc
How to Apply for Position:
Upgrade your account to paid subscription and gain access to this job as well as all other sports job opportunities:
Upgrade to a premium membership for complete access!Subscribe today and gain access to 1,868 jobs in the sports industry - Cancel anytime
Sports Team Fundraising Organization