Volunteer Operations Specialist
New York Road Runners was founded in 1958 when a small group of passionate runners vowed to bring running to the people and has grown from a local running club to the world’s premier community running organization. NYRR’s mission is to empower everyone, of all ages and abilities—beginners and competitive athletes, the young and the elderly, adult professionals, and underserved schoolchildren—to improve their health and well-being through the power of running and fitness.
NYRR’s races, community events, instruction and training resources, and youth programs give hundreds of thousands of people each year the motivation, know-how, and opportunity to start running and keep running for life. NYRR’s premier event, the famed TCS New York City Marathon, attracts the world’s top pro runners and committed amateurs alike while also raising millions of dollars annually for charity and driving economic impact for the city. But NYRR is equally committed to the runners of tomorrow, passionately providing youth fitness programs that educate and inspire more than 100,000 kids in underserved communities in New York City, all 50 states, and around the world.
Headquartered in New York City, NYRR implements a unique nonprofit model that teams contributed and earned income to make all its efforts possible. To learn more, please visit www.nyrr.org.
New York Road Runners is an Equal Opportunity Employer
About the Department
Our Event Development and Production department develops and produces NYRR events from concept all the way through execution in a way that fulfills NYRR’s mission. NYRR produces 56 races per year, in addition to the TCS New York City Marathon, and additional events within each race. The events team is responsible for physical site management, volunteer management, hospitality and special events, safety & security, and managing our Warehouse and all race collateral.
The Volunteer Operations team mobilizes volunteers to make the mission visible to the city of New York by delivering the highest-quality events year-round. The team works cross functionally to meet the needs of the program participants and external partners to contribute towards the well-being of the community.
About the Position
As a member of the Volunteer Operations team, the Volunteer Operations Specialist will report to the Senior Manager, Volunteer Operations, and support efforts to recruit, educate, and manage all volunteers that are needed to support 50 plus NYRR weekly events, including the 5 Borough Series, and the TCS NYC Marathon. The Volunteer Operations Specialist will have one part-time direct report and work with outside organizations to strengthen NYRR community connections while creating additional volunteer opportunities for NYRR members.
Job Responsibilities (primary and secondary duties):
Execute the New York Road Runners (NYRR) volunteer recruitment, onboarding, training, placement, and recognition strategy for over 20,000 volunteers annually to ensure a positive volunteer experience. Manage the customer service experience for over 20,000 volunteers year-round. Provide on-site volunteer management at 50 plus weekly races, the 5 Borough Series, and the TCS New York City Marathon.
Supervisory Duties and Responsibilities
- Supervise the part-time coordination, volunteer operations and event site volunteer administrator.
- Effectively manage employee performance through communication of expectations and standards.
- Delegate and distribute tasks and responsibilities appropriately.
- Track employee attendance.
- Determine race volunteer needs and post opportunities for over 100 races, community engagement projects and experiential events throughout the year.
- Check-in volunteers, process volunteer credits, monitor the volunteer registration progress, prepare reports and other administrative services related to our on-line volunteer registration system. Create and disseminate weekly volunteer registration status report.
Weekly Races, NYRR 5 Borough Series, and the TCS New York City Marathon
- Volunteer Logistics
- Coordinate with the Event Management and Logistics (EML) Team and Event Staffing (ES) Team to ensure appropriate number of volunteers for events.
- Prepare detailed logistical plans detailing volunteer placement for each NYRR event.
- Coordinate volunteer efforts with the Youth Events Team (YET).
- Volunteer Onboarding
- Correspond with volunteers for each event in a timely manner including initial confirmation, possible changes, emergency information, and post event follow up.
- Manage the annual 9 + 1 Program to ensure that runners are aware of the races and other opportunities that meet the requirements of the program.
- Oversee the Volunteer Leader Program to ensure volunteer leaders are recruited, onboarded, and trained.
- Supervise outreach to potential volunteer groups to help grow the impact of volunteers at 5 Borough Series races and the TCS New York City Marathon.
- Manage inventory of volunteer equipment, apparel, and incentives for all NYRR events.
- Minimum 7 year’s work experience in the nonprofit or events sector.
- Experience managing large budgets a plus.
- At least 5 years customer service experience
- Knowledge of good practice in volunteer management a plus.
- Experience in recruitment or community organizing.
- Experience with volunteer recruitment and management software preferred.
- Familiarity and understanding of social media channels.
- The ability to comprehend complicated projects and create a set step-by-step plans to complete them.
- Thrive in a fast-paced team setting that includes ongoing collaboration.
Skills and Attributes:
- Must have strong communicative skills; ability to work and manage diverse groups a must.
- Self-motivated with strong organizational skills, analytical talent, and attention to detail.
- Exceptional written and verbal communications skills.
- Ease with public speaking and facilitation to represent NYRR at various volunteer related functions.
- Ability to meet and perform under tight deadlines, think clearly under pressure, and exercise good judgment.
- Ability to exercise discretion, maintain confidentiality of sensitive information, and exhibit professionalism always.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Applications (Excel, Word, Outlook).
- Willingness to work non-traditional hours and various weekends.
- Ability to lift heavy equipment greater than 25lbs.
- Ability to stand for long periods of time.
- CPR/AED and First Aid Certification a plus.
How to Apply for Position:
Upgrade your account to paid subscription and gain access to this job as well as all other sports job opportunities:
Upgrade to a premium membership for complete access!Subscribe today and gain access to 2,353 jobs in the sports industry - Cancel anytime
Sports Arena (NY)
National Soccer Organization