Specialist, Strategic Partnerships
New York Road Runners was founded in 1958 when a small group of passionate runners vowed to bring running to the people and has grown from a local running club to the world’s premier community running organization. NYRR’s mission is to empower everyone, of all ages and abilities—beginners and competitive athletes, the young and the elderly, adult professionals and underserved schoolchildren—to improve their health and well-being through the power of running and fitness.
NYRR’s races, community events, instruction and training resources, and youth programs give hundreds of thousands of people each year the motivation, know-how, and opportunity to start running and keep running for life. NYRR’s premier event, the famed TCS New York City Marathon, attracts the world’s top pro runners and committed amateurs alike while also raising millions of dollars annually for charity and driving economic impact for the City. But NYRR is equally committed to the runners of tomorrow, passionately providing youth fitness programs that educate and inspire more than 100,000 kids in underserved communities in New York City, all 50 states, and around the world.
Headquartered in New York City, NYRR implements a unique nonprofit model that teams contributed and earned income to make all its efforts possible. To learn more, please visit www.nyrr.org.
New York Road Runners is an Equal Opportunity Employer
About the Department
Strategic Partnerships is responsible for developing revenue-generating partnerships from corporate and community-based organizations and managing those relationships. Partnerships vary from year-round engagement to specific races and events. They work closely with all of NYRR’s departments to develop programs that maximize revenue opportunities and ensure NYRR‘s partners’ objectives are being met. Licensing & Merchandising provides merchandising services to every area of the company. Internal merchandising services include managing the development of all weekly race premiums; premiums for community programs; development and distribution of staff clothing and any all product needs for the organization.
About the Position
Reporting to the Director of Licensing and Merchandising/Strategic Partnerships, the Specialist, Strategic Partnerships, is a key project manager on the team, supporting corporate and charity partner relations, race sponsorship execution, and organizational and departmental initiatives. The Specialist assists in all day-to-day operations of the department including planning and executing partner deliverables, vendor management, trafficking creative, creating run of shows and event logistics documents and project recapping. The Specialist will work in a team environment, and be assigned to co-manage a number of partners in the NYRR portfolio as well as departmental projects. The position requires some work on evenings and weekends, to supervise partner-sponsored programs at the NYRR RunCenter featuring the New Balance RunHub and NYRR races. The ideal candidate can multi-task effectively; is an organized project manager; has experience in an account/client service such as in an agency, corporate sponsorships or integrated marketing environment; and has background in live event production.
- Support partner relations for assigned portfolio, managing status call agendas, project plans, meeting notes and recaps
- Create and develop mutually beneficial integrated programs for assigned partners by working to understand the partners’ marketing objectives and priorities, while maintaining top-notch client service
- Showcase innovative thinking and resourcefulness to solve problems and address business challenges
- Communicate and collaborate effectively with cross-functional departments to ensure sponsorship deal points are executed efficiently and on budget, including but not limited to:
- Advertising elements such as signage, media and other creative executions
- Hospitality assets such as race entries and VIP invitations
- Digital and social media integration
- Point-of-sale and other retail marketing promotions
- Value-in-kind product distribution
- Independently manage multiple projects from start to finish, including but not limited to:
- Setting objectives and timelines
- Running meetings
- Creating run of show and logistics documents
- Coordinating and tracking all deliverables
- Planning and executing on-site activations
- Creating event recaps
- Attend assigned races and ensure partner deliverables are executed (may include signage, event sites, hospitality tents, product distribution, speaking opportunities); and help produce run of show
- Communicate project updates or challenges to both the partners and senior management in a timely manner
- Manage vendor relationships including administrative and financial support
- Oversee tracking of assets lists and budgets, and delegate administrative work effectively
- Showcase sound judgement and prioritization skills
- Support development and delivery of business development and renewal documents
- Assist with partner and category research (i.e., understand partner’s marketing and sponsorship objectives and industry competitors) and provide updates
- Lead seasonal departmental and organizational initiatives as applicable
- Showcase a team-oriented approach and act as a role model for others
- Minimum 2 years in corporate or non-profit partnership or sponsorship, integrated agency, or related licensing management experience
- Project management and customer service experience
- Live events or meetings production experience
Skills and Attributes:
- Knowledge of running industry preferred but not required
- Exhibits solution-oriented thinking, as well as excellent problem solving, decision making, and collaboration skills
- Outstanding organizational skills including impeccable attention to detail, time management, and a strong sense of personal accountability
- Ability to work independently, using good judgement, resourcefulness and the ability to sustain productivity under pressure
- Comfortable with data and demonstrates the ability to make recommendations based on data analysis
- High professional and ethical standards for handling confidential information
- High level of competency with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, PowerPoint, Excel) as well as Outlook. Working knowledge of Salesforce a plus.
- Ability to display positive attitude and remain flexible
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- English fluency required
Education & Certifications:
- College degree in Marketing, Communications, Hospitality, Merchandising or related field, or two years of related experience preferred
- Comfortable communicating with large groups of people and working in a live event capacity
- Ability to lift 25 lbs.
- Ability to work outdoors for long-periods of time (standing and/or sitting)
- Ability to communicate with the general public
How to Apply for Position:
Upgrade your account to paid subscription and gain access to this job as well as all other sports job opportunities:
Upgrade to a premium membership for complete access!Subscribe today and gain access to 737 jobs in the sports industry - Cancel anytime