Wheelchair Training Program Coach (Part-Time)
New York City, NY
New York Road Runners (NYRR) was founded in 1958 when a small group of passionate runners vowed to bring running to the people, and has grown from a local running club into the world’s premier community running organization. NYRR’s mission is to help and inspire through running, aiming to empower people of all ages and abilities to improve their health and well-being through the power of running and fitness.
NYRR’s year-round offerings of races, community events, programs, and training resources provide hundreds of thousands of people with the motivation, know-how, and opportunities to start running and keep running for life. NYRR’s premier event, the famed TCS New York City Marathon, attracts the world’s top professional runners and committed amateurs alike, while also raising millions of dollars annually for charity and driving economic impact for New York City. NYRR is equally committed to the runners of tomorrow, passionately providing youth fitness programs that educate and inspire children in underserved communities in New York City, nationwide, and around the world.
Headquartered in New York City, NYRR is a 501(c)(3) organization. To learn more, please visit www.nyrr.org.
New York Road Runners is an Equal Opportunity Employer
About the Department
NYRR’s Community Impact Department is dedicated to growing NYRR’s impact and reach through free programs serving youth and adults in communities of New York City and across the country. We believe in the power of running, movement, and social interaction to build physical and mental strength and we encourage people of all ages and abilities to participate in-person or online in our programs and events. Our programs embody NYRR’s mission of helping and inspiring all people through running.
The Community Impact Department oversees the strategy, execution and promotion of NYRR’s portfolio of free and impactful programs, including Rising New York Road Runners, NYRR Run for the Future, NYRR Open Run, NYRR Striders, and resources for athletes with disabilities. These programs inspire kids, young adults, adults and seniors to get moving and stay moving for life. We offer valuable online resources, virtual classes and educational webinars in addition to in-person opportunities including classes, events, training sessions and races. As a department, our goal is to foster our communities’ lifelong desire to run and to prioritize health and wellness.
The department closely collaborates with NYRR’s Development & Philanthropy Department, whose primary role is to raise funds for NYRR’s various philanthropic efforts. The Development & Philanthropy Department oversees individual and institutional giving, NYRR’s membership program, and NYRR Team for Kids, a team of adult runners who raise funds for NYRR’s youth programs through training and racing.
About the Position
The Rising New York Road Runners Youth Wheelchair Training Program is a free program for youth with physical disabilities ages 6 to 21. The program offers weekly training sessions on a seasonal basis, in-school resources, and competitive events on the road and track, regardless of experience or prior NYRR affiliation. The Wheelchair Training Coach is responsible for planning and executing practices under the guidance of the other coaches and Adaptive Programming Specialist.
- Executes age-appropriate practice plans set by the Lead Coach(es), Adaptive Programming Specialist, and/or Director of Youth Program Development for a team of youth wheelchair athletes (ages 6 – 21)
- Support a team of youth wheelchair athletes (ages 6 – 21) through weekly practice sessions and during NYRR youth events
- Have a functional knowledge of the sport of wheelchair racing, and/or demonstrate a willingness to learn and take directions from lead coaching staff
- Support with routine cleaning and maintenance of racing wheelchairs, perform repairs as necessary, and/or demonstrate a willingness to learn how to clean and maintain wheelchair racing equipment
- Meet weekly with Lead Coach(es), Adaptive Programming Specialist, and Director of Youth Program Development regarding the execution of the program and logistics
- Proactively answer wheelchair racing related questions from athletes and their families, and provide feedback to athletes, as appropriate, during practice sessions
- Prior work experience as a coach; prior experience as a wheelchair racing coach is a plus
- Prior experience working with youth with disabilities preferred
- Prior experience as a wheelchair racing athlete is a plus
Skills and Attributes:
- Ability or willingness to learn how to differentiate and individualize workouts based upon the disability related needs of athletes
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively with a diverse group of youth athletes with disabilities
- Knowledge of or willingness to learn racer mechanics and how to adapt program chairs to the disability-related needs of athletes
- Ability to apply feedback from athletes and their families, Lead Coach(es), Adaptive Programming Specialist, and Director of Youth Program Development
- Execute general directions set by NYRR Wheelchair Training Program staff during weekly practice sessions
- Work in-person practices on Saturday mornings from late August to late October, and from mid-April to early June
- Work in-person weekend practices (subject to COVID rates), or facilitate virtual practices from early January to mid-March
- Facilitate in-person or virtual sessions as needed outside of regularly scheduled programming
- First Aid and CPR/AED certification preferred.
- Proficiency with use of Microsoft Office
- Represent NYRR in school, community and professional meetings and events as appropriate.
Hourly Rate: $30.00
How to Apply for Position:
Upgrade your account to paid subscription and gain access to this job as well as all other sports job opportunities:
Upgrade to a premium membership for complete access!Subscribe today and gain access to 1,664 jobs in the sports industry - Cancel anytime
Sports Organization, NY
Sports & Entertainment (NY)
Sports Management Company, OR