Coordinator – Competition and National Team Programs
Responsible to: Will Deaver, Managing Director – Competition and National Team Programs; working directly with Competition and Event Managers
Background: USA Ultimate (USAU), based in Colorado Springs, Colo., serves as the national governing body for the sport of ultimate in the U.S. and is a member of the United States Olympic & Paralympic Committee (USPOC). Our mission is to advance the sport of ultimate in the United States by enhancing character, community and competition. USA Ultimate seeks to increase access to and participation in the sport of ultimate with an emphasis on expanding diversity, ensuring inclusion and youth development.
Working at USA Ultimate: Members of the USA Ultimate headquarters team work largely independently in overseeing their programs, with the oversight of department directors. While managers have a good deal of autonomy, the organization values teamwork and collaboration, and team members seek support, insight and suggestions from one another on a regular basis. Additionally, staff remain willing to pitch in at times when all-hands-on-deck are needed. USA Ultimate values staff and community feedback, so doors are always open for communication. There is a lot of passion amongst the headquarters team, and we are looking for a teammate who can share their own passion and work ethic to help support USA Ultimate’s strategic goals.
Position Summary: USA Ultimate seeks a self-motivated, detail-oriented, team player to assist competition and event managers across all competition and age divisions of USA Ultimate’s Competition and National Team Programs. This role includes coordinating and tracking event registration and payments, team communication, event support, formats and scheduling, volunteer support, and other program-related duties and projects. Responsibilities will shift focus seasonally with the schedule of competition divisions, including youth, college, club, masters, and beach divisions, as well as national teams.
● Assist with updates to competition guidelines in collaboration with competition managers.
● Assist with tracking event site selection for state, conference, sectional and regional events.
● Assist with registration and roster processing for events.
● Maintain complete and accurate records for championship series events, including but not limited to team rosters, event schedules, and results.
● Coordinate event results reporting and assist with rankings and qualification procedures.
● Assist with tracking coaching and tournament director certification compliance for events.
● Coordinate communication with a network of volunteer coordinators and event directors.
● Assist with recruiting, training, evaluation, appreciation, and retention of volunteer staff.
● Coordinate volunteer accounts in database, online and in email alias system.
● Assist competition managers with duties related to national team application and payment process, tryout and training camp planning, and travel logistics for national teams.
● Other program-related duties, projects and meetings as assigned.
● Ability to handle repetitive tasks, projects and priorities in a professional manner.
● Excellent organizational skills, attention to detail and the ability to multitask, prioritize and execute competing assignments.
● Excellent written and oral communication skills, including but not limited to, timely communication via email and phone.
● Skills in office-related software including word processing, databases and spreadsheet management.
● Ability to work well with a variety of personalities and provide impeccable customer service to volunteers, organizers and athletes of all ages and experience levels.
● Proactive and flexible while also able to be firm while remaining friendly.
● “No job is too small” attitude.
● Ability to demonstrate USA Ultimate’s core values: Respect, Integrity, Responsibility, Leadership and Teamwork.
Preferred Experience and Expertise:
● Education or experience in the field of sports administration and/or event management.
● Experience with or knowledge of the sport of ultimate and USA Ultimate’s competitive structures.
● Part-time, non-exempt position based out of USA Ultimate headquarters in Colorado Springs, CO. This is a Colorado position, and living in the state is required.
● This position has the ability to work some days remotely within the state of Colorado, subject to company policy and program needs.
● $18/hour, 30 hours per week, with the possibility of additional hours during high-volume periods.
● Accrued 40 hours of paid time off.
● Accrued Six sick days per year.
● Eligible for participation in retirement savings plan after completion of established waiting period.
Projected Start Date: March, 2023
Application Deadline: Preferred submission by Monday, February 13. Rolling applications thereafter – open until filled. Review of applications will begin immediately upon receipt of all below application materials, with interviews scheduled as promising candidates are identified.
Application Process: Send a cover letter and résumé to human resources at [email protected] with the subject line “Application for Coordinator – Competition.”
USA Ultimate provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
USA Ultimate strives to increase its workforce diversity. Applicants of color, women, individuals with disabilities, applicants from low-income backgrounds, and LGBTQIA+ applicants are strongly encouraged to apply.
How to Apply for Position:
Upgrade your account to paid subscription and gain access to this job as well as all other sports job opportunities:
Upgrade to a premium membership for complete access!Subscribe today and gain access to 1,640 jobs in the sports industry - Cancel anytime
Sports Organization (CO)