Director - Youth Programs
Responsible to: Tom Crawford, CEO
Background: USA Ultimate (USAU), based in Colorado Springs, Colo. (consistently one of the top 5 places to live in the U.S), serves as the national governing body for the sport of ultimate in the U.S. and is a member of the United States Olympic & Paralympic Committee (USPOC). Our mission is to advance the sport of ultimate in the United States by enhancing character, community and competition. USA Ultimate seeks to increase access to and participation in the sport of ultimate with an emphasis on expanding diversity, ensuring inclusion and growing the number of youth playing the sport nationwide.
Working at USA Ultimate: Directors on the USA Ultimate headquarters team work largely independently in overseeing their programs and staff, with the oversight and collaboration with the CEO. USAU values teamwork and collaboration, and team members seek support, insight and suggestions from one another on a regular basis. Additionally, all staff are expected to pitch in at times when all-hands-on-deck are needed. USA Ultimate values staff and community feedback, so doors are always open for communication. There is a lot of passion amongst the headquarters team, and we are looking for a teammate who can share their own passion and work ethic to help support USA Ultimate’s strategic goals.
Position Summary: The Director of Youth Programs will be responsible for leading and managing a staff team and volunteers to collaborate with local partners to develop and foster youth ultimate programs and greatly increase youth participation across the U.S. They will guide the youth programs team in diversity, equity, and inclusion initiatives, to develop a more diverse youth playing field. In addition, building relationships with local ultimate organizers, youth serving organizations, volunteers and the community is important for the success of youth growth.
This position requires working non-traditional hours including some evenings, weekends and holidays, and involves significant travel, occasionally for more than two weeks.
● Entrepreneurial spirit and experience.
● Ability to lead and manage a diverse team of full time staff and volunteers with empathy and collaboration.
● Oversee team projects and provide guidance and feedback when needed.
● Work with directors, CEO, and the board to develop strategic, operating and budget plans.
● Develop and own your department budget and operate within its limits.
● Build relationships with local organizers and youth serving organizations to promote and host youth programs nationwide.
● Collaborate with staff, volunteers and community members to develop youth resources and programs.
● Ability to work outside in varying conditions for long periods of time.
● “No job is too small” attitude.
● Proficient with office-related software including word processing, database, and spreadsheet management.
● Ability to demonstrate USA Ultimate’s core values: Respect, Integrity, Responsibility, Leadership, Teamwork and a commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion.
Preferred Experience and Expertise:
● Education or demonstrated experience in the field of sports administration.
● Experience and track record of success growing youth participation in sports.
● Experience engaging individuals of diverse backgrounds and identities in sports or other activities.
● Demonstrated ability to work with people and provide impeccable customer service.
● Experience in management role of paid and volunteer staff.
● Experience collecting and analyzing data.
● Full-time, exempt salaried position. Prefer a Director located at USA Ultimate headquarters in Colorado Springs, CO., but outstanding candidates in other locations may be considered.
● Starting Salary Range: $70-80,000/year, based on qualifications and experience.
● This position has the ability to work some days remotely within the state of Colorado, subject to company policy and program needs.
● Excellent medical, dental and vision plan, currently with premiums paid 100% by USA Ultimate as well as deductible assistance.
● Eligibility for retirement savings program after receiving at least $5,000 in pay, with new enrollment at
the beginning of each calendar year.
● Very generous PTO package, including vacation, sick time, and holidays.
● Limited relocation allowance if applicable.
Projected Start Date: Fall 2023
Application Deadline: Preferred submission by September 15, 2023. Rolling applications thereafter – open until filled. Review of applications will begin immediately upon receipt of all below application materials, with interviews scheduled as promising candidates are identified.
Application Process: Send a cover letter, résumé and 3 professional references to human resources at [email protected] with the subject line “Application for Director – Youth Programs.” Review of applications will begin immediately upon receipt of all below application materials, with interviews scheduled as promising candidates are identified.
USA Ultimate provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
USA Ultimate strives to increase its workforce diversity. Applicants of color, women, individuals with disabilities, applicants from low-income backgrounds, and LGBTQIA+ applicants are strongly encouraged to apply.
How to Apply for Position:
Upgrade your account to paid subscription and gain access to this job as well as all other sports job opportunities:
Upgrade to a premium membership for complete access!Subscribe today and gain access to 811 jobs in the sports industry - Cancel anytime
Media & Entertainment
Sports Media Organization
Media & Entertainment