Director – Athletics Center
This position has been filled - Job#: 453401427
Reporting to the Director of Student Engagement, the incumbent is responsible for the development, coordination, and administration of the credit-bearing Health & Wellness classes. As well as the oversight of interuniversity, intramural and sports club programs and services. The incumbent will also be responsible for supervising the general use of the athletic facilities by all students. Programs and services are intended to create a sport-based setting that focuses on the competitive spirit, positive social interaction, and the promotion of healthy lifestyles.
1. Serve as the director and head of all sports programs and gym activities at AIU, under the guidance of the Director of Student Engagement. The incumbent leads the supervision, administration and evaluation of all student and staff sports activities, exercise spaces and sport engagement programs. The incumbent is also responsible for the health and safety of the AIU community when participating in any sport or exercise programs.
2. Serve as a member of the Student Engagement department, participate in discussions, decision-making, and policy making.
Oversee and manage a team of qualified coaches, coordinators, and support staff. Inclusive of designing staffing schedules and job descriptions.
Provide guidance and direction for the Universities sports programs.
Oversee day-to-day operations of the credit-bearing Health & Wellness classes, interuniversity, intramural Sports and Club Sports programs and its associated facilities.
3. Provide oversight for all athletics programs and operations, inclusive of scheduling, coordinating fixtures and event bookings.
4. Oversee the maintenance, cleaning and the safety of surrounding facilities and all sporting equipment.
5. Ensure compliance with interuniversity conference policies and regulations as well as campus sports policies and relevant standards of conduct/code of conducts.
6. Assist in all facets of management for the athletics department, including budget management, marketing and advertising, and public relations.
7. Collaborate with other universities in the coordination and execution of an inter-university sports program; ensure adherence to procedures regarding the eligibility of student-athletes.
8. Plan, implement and promote interuniversity, intramural, and recreational athletic offerings including but not limited to, varsity sports, intramural programs, and non-credit recreational programs.
9. Establish and maintain suitable policies and standards for recreational groups and teams.
10. Develop and maintain collaborative relationships with other campus departments, faculty, staff, students, and community constituents to facilitate community engagement in programs and activities and usage of facilities.
11. Coordinate and facilitate the usage of social media to communicate Athletics activities; collaborate with University communications' professionals on publicity and reporting of athletic events and results.
Ability to communicate ideas and information clearly and concisely at all levels within the University in English.
Ability to negotiate and reach mutual points of understanding among peers and colleagues.
Effectively manage and delegate tasks to other team members.
Ability to effectively create relationships with other universities, sports programs, and outside vendors to further develop the University’s sport program.
Ability to meet deadlines and handle multiple projects at one time.
Demonstrate an understanding and appreciation of the University structure, policies, and procedures.
Ability to work varied hours including evenings and weekends.
Must be capable of maintaining confidentiality of work-related information and materials.
Demonstrate the ability to work effectively and efficiently with a diverse group of students, peers, and campus/community constituents.
Experience and Education:
Bachelor's degree required in Recreation, Physical Education, Sport Management, Sport Coaching or related field; Master’s degree is preferred.
Qualified Personal Trainer status/certification.
Experience required in competitive sports program (interuniversity/intramural/club) – Governing body qualifications strongly desired.
Experience managing and/or working with a support network of coaches and staff member
Experience teaching credit-bearing PE/Wellness courses.
Experience training, supervising, and evaluating personnel including coaches and referees.
Experience in the management and contribution of departmental budget decisions including experience with student/sport organization fiscal management.
Possession of Red Cross CPR/AED certification and/or Emergency First Aid qualified status, or equivalent, or ability to gain certification strongly preferred.
How to Apply for Position:
Upgrade your account to paid subscription and gain access to this job as well as all other sports job opportunities:
Upgrade to a premium membership for complete access!Subscribe today and gain access to 1,894 jobs in the sports industry - Cancel anytime