Assistant Coach for Softball
Under the general direction of the Director of Athletics, the part-time Assistant Coach will assist the Head Coach, the head coach in recruiting qualified student-athletes to the program, instruct and develop the student-athlete in the sport of softball, game preparation, and community involvement. Instruction should include, but not limited to the rules, strategies, and techniques relating to practice and competition in this sport. The assistant coach provides administrative support to the College's NCAA Division III program. The assistant coach will also support the mission and goals of the Athletic Department.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following and other duties as assigned:
Coaching, Instruction, and Team Administration (60%)
- Assist the head coach to provide one-on-one or teach instruction on related skill development and critique, rules, technologies and strategies;
- Assist the head coach to organize and conduct practices during the traditional season (as defined by the National Collegiate Athletic Association) for the sport. Non-traditional (or out of season) season practices may be required;
- Assist the head coach to serve as the representative of the department and the College during team travel for in- and out-of-season competition;
- Assist the head coach in management of operational budget issues: Participate in uniform and equipment purchase process; help plan and coordinate team travel under the supervision of Director of Athletics' Office; help develop and implement fund-raising strategies;
- Assist the head coach to complete in-and off-season scheduling for the program. Work within NCAA guidelines regarding start of season, dates of competition and end of season;
- Represent the Department of Athletics at on-campus Admissions Open Houses and/or other predetermined events;
- Other duties as assigned by the head coach.
- Assist the head coach in developing a recruiting strategy to achieve recruiting goals as pre-approved by the Director of Athletics.
- Work with the Office of Admission to recruit qualified prospective student-athletes, both incoming freshmen and transfers to Hood College. Included are off-campus contacts and evaluations as well as serving as College representative during on-campus prospect visits.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Proven integrity, leadership, and a thorough knowledge of softball are required.
- Candidate should possess a strong commitment and ability to motivate, teach, counsel, and recruit academically qualified student-athletes.
- Must have valid driver's license.
Bachelor's degree required. Proven successful coaching, with 2-3 years experience preferred, preferably at the collegiate level. Knowledge of NCAA Division III rules and regulations preferred. Experience working with female student-athletes highly desirable. Strong oral and written communication skills required.
Strong proficiency with social media platforms. Computer proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, such as, Microsoft Word, Excel, etc. Proficient with internet and email.
Ability to read and interpret documents, such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to effectively provide information and positively respond to questions from both external and internal customers both in person and by phone. Ability to speak effectively before groups of students, parents, or others.
Ability to develop marketing or promotion materials.
Ability to work with and apply basic mathematical concepts timely and accurately, either manually or by using a calculator.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form. Ability to hypothesize, draw conclusions, and support conclusions. Ability to work in theoretical arena and apply logic as appropriate.
How to Apply for Position:
Upgrade your account to paid subscription and gain access to this job as well as all other sports job opportunities:
Upgrade to a premium membership for complete access!Subscribe today and gain access to 1,911 jobs in the sports industry - Cancel anytime
Collegiate Summer Baseball Team
Private Catholic College