Assistant Athletic Trainer
Reporting to the Associate Director of Athletics for Student Services, the Assistant Athletic Trainer will:
1. Assist the Head Athletic Trainer, team physician, and associated medical practitioners in prevention, immediate care, and rehabilitation of injuries sustained by student-athletes
2. Carry out policies and procedures of the athletic training facilities and department of Athletics
3. Direct and provide athletic training coverage and supervision of intercollegiate athletic teams during practices, games, and strength and conditioning sessions as assigned
4. Coordinate physical exams and pre-participation paperwork for student-athletes through the team physician or designee
5. Perform selected portions of the physical exam under the direction and supervision of the team physician
6. Apply specific and appropriate taping, bracing, and other protective/supportive devices in order to prevent injury or re-injury
7. Monitor environmental conditions of playing and practice areas in order to make recommendations regarding the safety of the student-athlete, following accepted and recommended guidelines
8. Refer the student-athlete to medical personnel (i.e. physicians, physical therapists, nutritionists, and other allied health professionals) in order to ensure appropriate medical evaluation, treatment, and rehabilitation by implementing standard verbal and/or written orders
9. Maintain appropriate medical records
10. Be familiar with emergency action plans for each athletic venue
11. Familiarize student-athletes with the Athletic Department's Drug Testing and Counseling program
12. Provide education and counseling in health related matters to the student-athletes and coaches
13. Direct the student-athletes and coaches to professionals in order that the student-athlete may receive consultation for social and/or personal programs on specific topics, and by personal consultation
14. Assist in CPR/First Aid/AED instruction to coaches, athletic department staff, and athletic training students and staff
15. Provide clinical supervision of athletic training students
16. Perform other clinical duties as assigned by the Head Athletic Trainer
17. Adhere to regulations of the state's Athletic Trainer Practice Act
18. Perform administrative duties as assigned by Associate Director of Athletics for Student Services
19. Build quality relationships and work collaboratively and professionally with school club, athletics, and University staff, students, business vendors and all donors and stakeholders.
20. Abide by all written policies and procedures of the univeristy, the Department of Athletics, The Educational Foundation, the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), and all applicable conferences or associations.
21. Nights, weekends, holidays, extended hours, and travel are required in the performance of duties.
Special Instructions To Application:
Candidates must also submit a cover letter, a curriculum vitae/resume, and a list of three references, including contact information, online.
Original transcript required within 30 days of employment.
The Univeristy seeks to create an environment that fosters the recruitment and retention of a more diverse student body, faculty, staff and administration. In order to promote the university’s diversity goal, the Athletics Department encourages applicants from women, minorities, and historically underrepresented groups.
Bachelor's degree from an appropriately accredited institution is required.
Certified Athletic Trainer as designated by the Board of Certification
Licensed Athletic Trainer by the state's Board of Athletic Training Examiners or eligible
Minimum one year post-undergraduate athletic training experience required.
Full time or Part time: Full Time
How to Apply for Position:
Upgrade your account to paid subscription and gain access to this job as well as all other sports job opportunities:
High School (VA)
High School (VA)
Southeast Region School