Group Training Coach (Part-Time)
New York Road Runners was founded in 1958 when a small group of passionate runners vowed to bring running to the people and has grown from a local running club to the world’s premier community running organization. NYRR’s mission is to empower everyone, of all ages and abilities—beginners and competitive athletes, the young and the elderly, adult professionals and underserved schoolchildren—to improve their health and well-being through the power of running and fitness.
NYRR’s races, community events, instruction and training resources, and youth programs give hundreds of thousands of people each year the motivation, know-how, and opportunity to start running and keep running for life. NYRR’s premier event, the famed TCS New York City Marathon, attracts the world’s top pro runners and committed amateurs alike while also raising millions of dollars annually for charity and driving economic impact for the City. But NYRR is equally committed to the runners of tomorrow, passionately providing youth fitness programs that educate and inspire more than 100,000 kids in underserved communities in New York City, all 50 states, and around the world.
Headquartered in New York City, NYRR implements a unique nonprofit model that teams contributed and earned income to make all its efforts possible. To learn more, please visit www.nyrr.org.
New York Road Runners is an Equal Opportunity Employer
About the Department
Runner Products supports the training, racing and community experience of our runners -through classes, seminars and customized training programs. The team also provides experiences to enhance the runner's engagement with the running community and their experience at NYRR events, whether it is through our membership program, race photography or ticketed events. The Runner Services team is the information source for our runner, serving for a conduit of information and an advocate for NYRR's runner-first philosophy. NYRR’s Charity Programs include Champion’s Circle and over 350 charities who partner with NYRR to raise over $30 million cumulatively through volunteers running the marathon each fall.
About the Position
NYRR’s Training Team is seeking supportive, experienced leaders to coach NYRR’s Group Training program. Group Training sessions are held year-round on weekdays and weekends. Group Training part-time coaches will work with each park lead to execute pre-planned workouts in a group setting with up to 25 runners at a time, creating an engaging and safe workout session for the runners, along with fostering an environment of inclusivity.
Job Responsibilities (primary and secondary duties):
- Work with the Training Team Lead and/or Park Lead to execute engaging workouts, that will provide the participants with a workout that builds aerobic capacity and motivates them throughout the session.
- Communicate frequently/as needed with Training team and/or Park Lead via phone, text and email to ensure that advice provided at the workout is science-based and aligns with the NYRR training principles.
- Ensure that participants are engaging in a safe and positive training environment.
- Must commit to total time per workout of 90 minutes. Workout’s average 60 minutes in length, and coaches are expected to arrive 15 minutes ahead of time and are encouraged to stay and answer questions for up to 15 minutes after each workout concludes.
- Prior coaching and training/running experience strongly preferred
- Experience coaching and working with runners are various levels
- Preferred: Experience in community building and runner engagement
Skills and Attributes:
- Ability to implement workout for runners of ranging ability levels and adapt workouts onsite as needed to ensure safety of participants
- Ability to provide deliver clear explanations, demonstrations, and instructions about workout and drills
- Strong interpersonal skills with organized and clear communication style required
- Punctual and dependable
- Ability to encourage and motivate runners.
- Ability to implement effective conflict resolution as needed.
- Ability to adapt to feedback based on Park Lead and customer comments
- Comfort speaking with authority in a group setting
- Preferred: Willingness and flexibility to travel to various parks such as Central Park, Prospect Park, and Astoria Park
- Must be able to simultaneously coach and run 4 miles at an assigned pace without stopping
- Run with a 10-pound AED backpack, if required for emergency situations to administer first-aid
Education & Certifications:
- First Aid and CPR/AED certification (or willingness to obtain certification through NYRR sponsored training)
- Preferred: RRCA, USATF, or comparable coaching or training certification (or willingness to obtain certification through NYRR-sponsored training)
Hourly Rate: $30.00
How to Apply for Position:
Upgrade your account to paid subscription and gain access to this job as well as all other sports job opportunities:
Upgrade to a premium membership for complete access!Subscribe today and gain access to 406 jobs in the sports industry - Cancel anytime
Sports Marketing Agency