NYRR Open Run Associate (Part-Time)
New York Road Runners (NYRR) was founded in 1958 when a small group of passionate runners vowed to bring running to the people and has grown from a local running club into the world’s premier community running organization. NYRR’s mission is to help and inspire through running, aiming to empower people of all ages and abilities to improve their health and well-being through the power of running and fitness.
NYRR’s year-round offerings of races, community events, programs, and training resources provide hundreds of thousands of people with the motivation, know-how, and opportunities to start running and keep running for life. NYRR’s premier event, the famed TCS New York City Marathon, attracts the world’s top professional runners and committed amateurs alike, while also raising millions of dollars annually for charity and driving economic impact for New York City. NYRR is equally committed to the runners of tomorrow, passionately providing youth fitness programs that educate and inspire children in underserved communities in New York City, nationwide, and around the world.
Headquartered in New York City, NYRR is a 501(c)(3) organization. To learn more, please visit www.nyrr.org.
New York Road Runners is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
About the Department
The Youth & Community Program team oversees a variety of programs that offer the running community opportunities to actively support NYRR's mission to help and inspire people through running. These programs include Rising New York Road Runners for youth, Striders for seniors, Run for the Future for high school young women and Open Run. NYRR Open Run is a free community run/walk program open to everyone across 20 parks with more than 5,000 participants.
About the Position
The PT NYRR Open Run Associate is the primary and most direct link to the community that takes part in the weekly NYRR Open Run program on Tuesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays, and Sundays (park dependent). Associates are assigned to NYRR Open Run Park sites across the metro area to support the program and related events. This position reports to the Director, NYRR Open Run. The hours of commitment are up to 25 hours per week.
Job Responsibilities (primary and secondary duties):
- Manage NYRR Open Run sites across metro area and schedule regular site visits a month to educate volunteers and participants, provide guidance on the program and assess program integrity.
- Time commitment of 3 hours per day includes Tuesdays and Thursdays: Start time – 6PM; Saturdays, and Sundays: Start time – 8AM, attendance at staff meetings (in-person and virtual).
- Collaborate with other PT Associates and management team to implement communication strategies that will increase awareness and participation at Open Run at all sites.
- Maintain regular communication, in person and via email and phone (as required), with the Open Run Team, Volunteer Captains and other volunteers who sign up for your assigned Open Run sites.
- Support posting of program content on each park’s Facebook Groups with events and other relevant information. Send out weekly emails to members of your Open Run parks.
- Assist with ongoing planning, recruitment, and training for volunteers, including attendance at neighborhood functions. Meet community leaders to seek out volunteers interested in leading or supporting their local NYRR Open Run. Prepare presentations and meeting materials for each site.
- Support the management and communication of weekly run results on a timely basis.
- Assist with the incentive distribution for volunteers and participants.
- Maintain equipment needs at assigned Open Run locations.
- Support formal and informal testing of new systems and processes for program implementation.
- Document all site management efforts and report all progress and issues to the Director, NYRR Open Run.
- Work multiple weekday and weekend days a year at major NYRR and YCS events.
- Follow all operational safety guidelines set by NYRR Safety & Security team to ensure a safe Open Run environment for staff and participants.
- Communicate about Open Run to potential participants about signing up, participating, and volunteering.
- Administer all COVID-19 protocols in accordance with organizational policies.
- Ensure full stock of PPE inventory and ensure safety equipment is operational and accurate.
- Community engagement experience is preferred.
- Event planning and management experience is preferred.
- Experience with non-profit programs is preferred
- Excellent communication skills to handle incoming calls/emails and direct inquiries to the proper party
- Expertise in MS Office (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint)
- Experience with administrative tasks
Skills and Attributes:
- Confidence in leading participants and volunteers through safety protocols
- Knowledge of NYC and Outer Boroughs preferred
- Comfortable working with a diverse group of people
- Strong leadership skills and the ability to work effectively in a collaborative team environment.
- Forward thinking and solution-based mindset
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Focused attention to detail. Ability to effectively manage multiple projects simultaneously and thrive in a fast-paced environment
- Works well under pressure and tight deadlines and demonstrates problem solving skills
- Initiative to identify and offer suggestions for improvements or enhancements
- General appreciation for living a healthy lifestyle
- Undergraduate degree preferred
- CPR/First Aid/AED Certification required or willingness to obtain
- S. Center for SafeSport Certification required or willingness to obtain
- Travel to all current and potential program sites
- Work weekends as needed, at Open Run events or as organizational events require
Hourly Rate: $22.00
How to Apply for Position:
Upgrade your account to paid subscription and gain access to this job as well as all other sports job opportunities:
Upgrade to a premium membership for complete access!Subscribe today and gain access to 406 jobs in the sports industry - Cancel anytime
Pro Soccer League