This position is fully remote.
Harlem Lacrosse is on a mission to empower the children who are most at risk for academic decline and dropout to rise above their challenges and reach their full potential. By providing opportunities, relationships, and experiences that activate the skills and traits to put youth on a path to success, Harlem Lacrosse inspires children to dream about tomorrow while working hard on the field and in the classroom today.
Founded in 2011 in New York, Harlem Lacrosse has grown to five cities, 18 schools, 40 programs, and more than 1,200 participants. In addition to developing crucial athletic and social-emotional skills, our students consistently outperform their peers academically, passing their classes, graduating high school, and enrolling and persisting in college at a higher rate than other students in their schools. HL teams have won city-wide championships in each of the last three years, and many alumni go on to play lacrosse in college.
To learn more about Harlem Lacrosse, please visit https://www.harlemlacrosse.org/.
Harlem Lacrosse seeks a Senior Director of Talent and Equity to oversee two core functions that are critical to its organizational effort to become an anti-racist organization. This position is an ideal opportunity for an experienced talent professional with expertise in DEI, building a comprehensive talent strategy, DEI facilitation, and experience managing across teams and regions.
The ideal candidate will be a rising, nonprofit executive who thrives in a hands-on work environment. They will be a manager and leader, who is comfortable rolling up their sleeves to get the job done, regardless of the task; who leverages the skills and experience of the entire team and actively participates in delivering necessary outcomes; a national leader who can easily switch to a local perspective, as required by the work, while never losing sight of broader organizational goals. They will have a racial equity lens, and can bring an understanding of how to promote racial equity in building out teams. This leader will have exceptional people skills, serve as a collaborative team leader, and be energized by the role Harlem Lacrosse can play in delivering life-changing services for youth.
Key Responsibilities of the Senior Director of Talent and Equity include:
- Overseeing recruitment and hiring strategy to ensure we recruit a diverse pool, conduct a racially equitable process, and select exceptional candidates
- Partnering with managers within the organization to drive onboarding strategy to ensure new hires organization-wide are prepared to hit the ground running from day one
- Refining the overarching learning and development strategy so that all staff are continuously learning, improving, and growing -- especially regarding our understanding of racism and antiracism
- Assessing staff engagement and inclusion; proposing and executing strategies to increase engagement and inclusion among all staff
- Overseeing the refinement of the performance evaluation system to ensure that it equitably measures strong performance and helps us achieve the best possible results for students and also recognizes the diverse assets of our staff
- Partnering with the Chief Operating Officer and outsourced professional services to ensure that policies and practices organization wide reflect our commitment to equity
- Partnering with regional and functional leaders to embed an equity lens in decision-making at all levels
- Helping to lead the organization in authentically celebrating the cultures and backgrounds of those in our community
- Managing the Equity Team and the Talent Team to execute effectively on these priorities and continuously learn and improve on strategies to best achieve our priorities and goals